Saturday, September 12, 2009

The Last Hippie

This little poem goes against most of my writing habits, as it is an environmental cry-out: and while I feel strongly on the subject; Poetry should not have to have a message or reason! -doing so quite nearly undermines the purpose of poetry in fact- and it saddens me greatly that this one should need to be.
-
-
The Last Hippie.

He sits, entwined
In the branches of the last tree
Of metropolis.

This is his place
To breathe, a memory of the tranquil,
Shrouded in chaos,

Like a faded
Photograph, alien to the gaudy lights
Of the city.

An apology, he clings
To the ancient boughs, bark rough under
Tired hands.

Branches spread skyward,
As tactile fingers, and all he can taste is
The sorrow.

They two,
Last of a kind, there was never room
For failure.

With a pistol cocked
To his mouth, forgiveness is begged,
Tomorrow, the diggers come.

There will be no last stand.
-
© Leah Petts 13.09.2009

3 comments:

Nico said...

I like it. I love haiku poetry, and it's nice how you built up this poetry.
Your new reader,
Nico

Leah-Mae said...

oh, WOW!
somebody ACTUALLY browsed my blog who wasn't just returning the favour at first or a person I know from school! *dances with glee*
...I'd follow yours but I'm sorry, I don't speak spanish... :'(
Thankyou all the same.

Ecstatic,
Leah Mae.

Nico said...

Haha, don't worry, it's catalan xD. I'll try to write something in English, so more people can read about my deliriums xD.